Skip to main content

Providence

Romans 8:28
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

I think God uses the events in our lives to change us and others, whether those events are personal choices or uncontrollable events. There have been no times in my life when I have been closer to God, and when I have been more willing to listen to him, than those in which I have felt so utterly alone. While I caused those events, or allowed them to happen, God used them to mold me into the man he intends me to be.

At the same time, I believe that we-- and the choices we make-- are the product of both our experiences and our inherent makeup. There is a reason I'm writing on this subject right now instead of fighting fires or eating ice cream. Not only am I inherently interested in learning, but I've also been exposed to others whose answers to questions like this have sparked my own interest. Newton once wrote to Robert Hooke, "You have added much several ways...If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." In a similar way, I feel I've been influenced by those around me to take the course of life I've chosen; and while that course is lined by what at times seem to be insurmountable fences, the reality is that there are unlocked gates here and there that offer the freedom to walk this way and that. Our paths are confined in some ways, but we have the ultimate choice to leave it if we so choose. This is a gift of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nice Guy Fallacy

I read part of a poem recently by one of my favorite poets. It reads: I envy not in any moods The captive void of noble rage The linnet born within the cage That never knew the summer woods. I envy not the beast that takes His license in the field of time Unfetter'd by the sense of crime To whom a conscience never wakes. Nor what may call itself as bles't The heart that never plighted troth But stagnates in the weeds of sloth Nor any want-begotten rest. I hold it true, whate'er befall I feel it, when I sorrow most 'Tis better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all. At base, Tennyson contrasted a life of risk, and consequent pain, with one of security. He sides conclusively with the life of risk, and says he fails to envy those who have faced no hardship. I agree with him; and, for good or ill, his words are just as relevant today as they were in the nineteenth century. Like then, there are those today who choose to live their lives with as little risk as...

Ghosts

Exercising at a gym seems to be pretty important in our culture, but it's kind of weird to see the social dynamics when you're there. Usually, if you're running an errand, you see others doing the same thing, going about their days and focusing on what's in front of them. The same thing happens at the gym, only everyone is relatively stationary. They don't really go anywhere, except from one machine or area to another. One might think this lends itself to lots of interaction between members, especially since they're all there for the same purpose, but it isn't true. Not only do people generally avoid talking to one another, but they also avoid even looking at one another. It is as though there is no one else there, even though there are dozens on any given day. Most people follow this unwritten rule, unless something in the environment-- say, two people wanting to use the same set of weights-- gives them common ground to interact, or unless they've alr...

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to ...