Skip to main content

Making Deposits

The bank was nearly empty of customers, except for another man and myself. I had just entered and stepped into line behind the other customer when the teller said she could help him at her window. He said something like, "I'll wait for the next teller. I don't want to do business with you."

I can't say why the man responded this way. The woman seemed unphased by the man's words, though, which told me she may have had dealings with him before. She called me to the window, and as she was processing my request, she glanced once toward the man, who was now with another teller. I felt the need to say something to her at that point, so at the end, I managed to say, "Don't let people's words discourage you."

She said thank you, but I left with the impression that she had a deeper need that I wasn't able to fill. It was a moment that you don't see often in public, when you see a person-- whether a stranger or someone you know-- as a human, someone with their own internal struggles and unmet needs. I had never met this woman before, but after that man's comments, I saw her differently than I would have otherwise. She was, to me, someone with hidden pain (or perhaps just anger).

This wasn't the first time this week that this had happened. In the early part of the week, I had been paying close disciplinary attention to a student of mine. Lately, he has been acting out and I have been disciplining him for it. Because of it, he's felt that I've been picking on him.

Events continued this way until Wednesday, when he called me over to see if I would check his homework. In the next few moments, as I watched the difficulty he had in putting together sentences, something in me clicked. I began to see him as more than just another student. I saw that same internal struggle, the same inward hurt, that I saw in the lady today at the bank. At that moment, he became human to me. Because of this, I tried to be nicer to him yesterday and today. I tried to pay attention to him, because I know that something in him needs that. I only hope that the next time he acts out, I am more thoughtful about how I respond.

All of this says something about how we are to interact with those around us. People are important, not because they have something to offer us, not because they are kind to us or make us laugh. People are important because they are human, because they are God's creation. If I learned anything this week amid all the business, it was that God sees us so much more clearly than we are able to see ourselves and others. If it is true that he knows even the number of hairs on our heads, there is an importance he assigns to us, an attention he pays to us that none other can give. I read this week that God will "give a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters" to those "eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant" (Isaiah 56:4-5). To think that God can care for us enough to assign us this kind of importance should be life-changing. It's too bad that it sometimes takes an awareness of others' pain-- as it did with the lady at the bank, and as it did with the student in my class-- to understand that truth more clearly. Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...