Skip to main content

New York

Two summers ago, I spent the day alone in San Francisco, most of it at Golden Gate Park. It was supposed to be a preliminary step toward checking off an item on my bucket list (yes, I have a bucket list, even if it is a short one). I've noticed over my life that I'm not a very independent person. I have tended to shy away from taking risks alone, including the risk of being alone in an unfamiliar place. It awed me to learn that people around my age were traveling alone to foreign countries, or even cities here in the U.S. I couldn't put myself in that place because I didn't believe I could trust my own judgment enough to be safe in such circumstances. In short, I've been afraid to venture out on my own.

This leads to what I was able to experience last week. I traveled to New York City on Monday, and spent Tuesday and Wednesday there before meeting my aunt and uncle a little farther north outside the city. I was originally supposed to travel to New York with my brother and sister-in-law, but unforeseen events prevented them from going. Unexpectedly, then, I had the chance to be thousands of miles away from home on my own.

To the person accustomed to independence, this must seem unremarkable, but I didn't grow up having to take care of myself. I remember having to make a phone call to a parent one day as a kid to tell her that I couldn't make it to an event I was supposed to attend. I didn't have the courage to tell this parent myself, so I asked my mom if she would call for me. The sum of occasions like this one, moments of sheltering, may have taught me that risk-taking isn't necessary.

Whatever existential reason I may have had for being in the city alone, my true purpose for being there was to see my family. They welcomed me with incredibly warm arms, which made for a great Thanksgiving. Still, I learned from those two days in the city that I'm not the little boy I used to be, at least in regard to caring for myself. That doesn't mean I still don't like playing with cars. :-)

I was allowed to take this photo in a Ferrari store near Rockefeller Center.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...