Skip to main content

Journaling This Week

My classes this week are journaling on discrimination. Without downplaying them, I wanted to avoid the heavily-discussed topics of race, religion, and gender. Instead, I hoped to challenge my students a little by having them think about discrimination against the addicted, the overweight, and the criminal. It is easy to vilify the racist, the bigot, and the misogynist; but we think less frequently-- and perhaps less comfortably-- about discrimination against these groups.

Of the three topics, the one that sparked the most discussion was the last, which we thought about today. I learned from an article by David Perry (see Perry, David L. "Should Violent Felons Receive Organ Transplants?") that a convicted robber received a heart transplant in 2002, and I used this as a starting point to ask if students believed this man should have received the transplant when the life of another person could have been saved.

I did not anticipate the discussion, and argument, that would follow. Two of my classes spent their entire periods debating the notion that convicted criminals are equally valid candidates for heart transplants; and, for the first time in my career, a number of them willingly brought up religion as a means to justify their stances. Students who normally don't participate spoke up. They asked my personal opinion on the topic, and when I told them, I felt as though I received equal amounts of praise and condemnation. It was certainly divided, but I took heart that, on the whole, they listened to one another and respected each other's opinions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nice Guy Fallacy

I read part of a poem recently by one of my favorite poets. It reads: I envy not in any moods The captive void of noble rage The linnet born within the cage That never knew the summer woods. I envy not the beast that takes His license in the field of time Unfetter'd by the sense of crime To whom a conscience never wakes. Nor what may call itself as bles't The heart that never plighted troth But stagnates in the weeds of sloth Nor any want-begotten rest. I hold it true, whate'er befall I feel it, when I sorrow most 'Tis better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all. At base, Tennyson contrasted a life of risk, and consequent pain, with one of security. He sides conclusively with the life of risk, and says he fails to envy those who have faced no hardship. I agree with him; and, for good or ill, his words are just as relevant today as they were in the nineteenth century. Like then, there are those today who choose to live their lives with as little risk as...

Ghosts

Exercising at a gym seems to be pretty important in our culture, but it's kind of weird to see the social dynamics when you're there. Usually, if you're running an errand, you see others doing the same thing, going about their days and focusing on what's in front of them. The same thing happens at the gym, only everyone is relatively stationary. They don't really go anywhere, except from one machine or area to another. One might think this lends itself to lots of interaction between members, especially since they're all there for the same purpose, but it isn't true. Not only do people generally avoid talking to one another, but they also avoid even looking at one another. It is as though there is no one else there, even though there are dozens on any given day. Most people follow this unwritten rule, unless something in the environment-- say, two people wanting to use the same set of weights-- gives them common ground to interact, or unless they've alr...

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to ...