Skip to main content

Space

It took me several years before my classroom looked anything near respectable. I remember a few colleagues noting calmly before my first year began how barren it looked with its blank walls. More concerned with how to teach, I was content to keep it that way, until a friend and colleague offered to help decorate. My attitude toward that classroom on that hot August day is similar to the one with which I treat my personal space in general. This, perhaps, reflects the sentiment that a person's sense of self is composed mainly in his character rather than his surroundings. Still, some of what a man is made of is visible on his person, the way he carries himself and the way he dresses. Should it be any different with the way he treats his personal space? An acquaintance once called my apartment, before I moved, "spartan." I suppose that comment, and my attitude toward my blank classroom, revealed just how inattentive I can be toward the outside world. This has its benefits and its drawbacks, I suppose, as you are just as likely to miss outward flaws as you are to notice something positive about yourself or others.

Maybe I'm not as sentimental as others are about their space, or maybe I haven't had the connection to places that others have. Whatever the reason, I don't believe I have a place about which I would be hurt upon learning it was destroyed. The question calls on our sense of nostalgia. Nostalgia I have, but it is a nostalgia more for memories with people, and not the places in which those memories took shape. I remember peanut butter pancakes on a Saturday morning with a best friend, but it could have happened in any home and been equally meaningful; I remember dinner with family just after spending a few days alone in New York City. Still, the memory could have been equally pleasant in another room of the house, another house in the neighborhood, or another neighborhood in the city, state, or country; but the warmth I remember from that cold autumn night would be just as powerful, not because it took form in a particular place, but because it took form among family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...