Skip to main content

Wasabe Master

It seemed simple enough. My leadership students and I would sell water at our school's "Cultural Night"-- an event in the school gymnasium that celebrates our school's diversity-- and we would go home. I expected the variety of food, the outfits specific to the different cultures, and the variety of entertainment. What I didn't expect was a barely-visible sign just behind the Japan booth, a sign that would change the course of the night.

The sign itself was nothing noteworthy. Three feet by two feet in diameter, it consisted of a simple border surrounding just two words on a white background; but its appearance betrayed something so much more fundamental to-- and so much more complex within-- the human condition. It was these words, "wasabe challenge," that ignited in me a need to prove my worth as a man. I'm being over dramatic, but I did want to see if I could withstand a spice that I had heard was fairly hot.

The event itself was as straightforward as the message. Any takers would line up onstage and be given a spoon. On this implement would be placed a dab of wasabe. On three, all would consume the wasabe and decide thereafter if they wanted to stay for round two.

The first round, in fact, was deceptively easy. One of the game organizers wanted to trick participants by starting them with a milder form of the sauce in round one, then give them a more genuine form in subsequent rounds. This she did, and many of the ten or so participants left the stage after they tasted the spicier version. After four rounds, the last of which consisted of about twice as much of the hotter wasabe, only a few were left. Those who survived were crowned with a green and white paper crown that read "Wasabe Master," and I was one of them.

Given that I have never been the master of anything, I took great pride in this trophy. Never mind that most of my competition was half my height and a third my age. I had done it, and while the crown may wilt away into the dustbin of history, my new-found pride will remain. More seriously, however, the number of people encouraging me in the event-- some of whom I had not met-- reminded me the value of being known. That feeling of being recognized as a human being was, in fact, one of the points of the event itself; but for a teacher who expected to sit nameless in the back of a gymnasium for the night behind a stack of water bottles while the world went by, it brought home the point all the more clearly. It taught me that a single measure of personal interest in others can crumble emotional walls, and more than anything, that a community of interest can keep them leveled. This is, I suppose, one of the lessons and values of community.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...