Skip to main content

Teaching This Year

Since I've been teaching now for eight years, I tend to measure time by the school year calendar. Each year has been different, but I also notice a trend in each year that becomes that year's theme. The theme for year one, for instance, was survival; for year two, correction; and year three, confidence. Having finished the year, I have found that this year's theme is failure. While this sounds negative, it doesn't need to be. Indeed, failure can encourage a person to reevaluate what went right and wrong, and to make changes where needed. Moreover, I have seen successes. Over the past years, for example, I have endeavored first to make my classroom a place of safety for students. This has meant improving in classroom management. For the first time in my career, I can say that I feel as though I have become noticeably effective in this area.

As I have increased as a classroom manager, however, I have also sought to engage my students academically, making our learning relevant. This has been more challenging, but I've grown here, as well. Originally, I wanted to introduce a blog on which students would respond to the nightly reading. However, security concerns (I couldn't assign user names and passwords to students) prevented that. Still, I was able to introduce increased accountability to students to make sure they were reading at home.

This has led to some disappointment. I found that, despite their independent reading, and our work in the classroom with close reading, many students' comprehension did not markedly improve. This shows me that I must increase the variety of strategies I use to engage students with the texts they read; that I must expose them to a wider variety of texts; that I must increase the social aspect of reading, encouraging them to interact with one another about the text; and that I must allow them a greater degree of choice in regard to what they read. As a result, my initial plan is to introduce them to different genres of novels, and allow them to choose a novel within those genres. For class-wide reading-- whether via a novel, short story, news article, or other kind of text-- I plan to use a wider variety of ways to allow students to interact with one another while still employing the comprehension strategies that they will practice from the beginning of the year. I believe this will make students more interested in their reading both in and out of class.

This is not to say there weren't academic successes. I've been able to adapt previous lessons in a way that has helped students see the relevance of language, and in the classroom, I've become more adept at communicating this relevance. As a result, students are more engaged. That engagement is simply not to the point that it could be. The ideal, for me, is to allow students to learn that each possesses unique knowledge that he or she can use to contribute to others. In short, my goal is to make language relevant, and to allow them to feel a sense of power as readers and writers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...