Skip to main content

A Day in the Life of Tony (Sort Of)

At the beginning of every day, I get up, make my bed, and sit down to read Scripture for a while. Today, I read Acts 2, in which the Holy Spirit comes on the believers in Jerusalem as tongues of fire. Thus began my day today, and thus begins this blog entry: A Day in the Life of Tony.

I began this day at 5:30. After reading the Bible and praying, I wrote my list of goals for the day. On today's list, I wrote the following:

1. Read the Bible.
2. Wash, dry, and fold laundry.
3. Play guitar.
4. Write on your blog.
5. Read part of one of your books.
6. Write at least one stanza of a poem.

This done, I began the aforementioned laundry. I then checked my e-mail; tended to my daily Lumosity games; and read more about the police chase here in Stockton, including videos of a witness to the chase, a woman I know.

After breakfast, I read a book I bought about the history of pirates. I rarely do this, but I then took a short nap, after which I read another book called A Grief Observed. It is as sad as its title suggests. The author has just lost his wife, and is questioning both God and those who are trying to comfort him. Eventually, I made my way to my guitar, where I learned how to play part of an Oasis song called "Champagne Supernova."

Hereafter, I was visited by a man about whom I have written in a previous post, Ivan. Ivan is a Jehovah's Witness. The last time he came, we discussed the Jehovah's Witness church, and he was open and non-confrontational about the questions I had. Today, I asked him what I believe is the most important question that anyone considering Christianity must answer. I asked him whom he believes Jesus is. He replied that Jesus is God's son, sent to save humanity. Finding this the most important point of Scripture and Christianity, I asked if he believes that Jesus is God. He replied that he did not, and each of us went on to discuss his point of view. We parted on friendly terms, as we had last time, but in definite disagreement on this point. With the visit still on my mind, I then researched more about Jesus' claims about himself.

I must still write part of a new poem, which I will do now, and I plan to go to Peet's Coffee later. Most days are not as quiet as today, certainly not during the school year. Still, I took part in some of the things I enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...