Skip to main content

On Stage

A friend reminds me now and then that I like to be "on stage," that I like attention. I admit that I do, but it was not until today that being "on stage" became literal.

In fact, I enjoyed today by spending it with my brother and sister-in-law at the California state fair. We went specifically because Wheel of Fortune held auditions for potential contestants. Even being there for this was interesting, if only to witness how people are chosen to be on the show. Still, we had come to audition ourselves, and therefore applied for both the afternoon and evening auditions.

In the evening audition, we watched as the stand-in-host and hostess chose these applications from a lottery tumbler. During the first round, after the host called four names, I heard him say the name "Tony," but it was the next moment that caught my attention more directly. Now, for any of you with a difficult last name, you are well acquainted with the scenario of a stranger whose task is to pronounce it, and perhaps half-cringe while he or she stutters through sounds that resemble something like your birth name. Indeed, your ears are attuned enough to these moments that you recognize them on the first hint of trouble. Such was the case here. Upon hearing the host speak an elongated, halting "S," I knew that I had been called.

At this, I entered back stage to have my picture taken and attached to my application for later use. I signed in, and after an assistant asked my name, he indicated that I take the stage with the other four applicants. The host called each of us to introduce ourselves and mention our hobbies. I told him what I do for a living, and among other things, stated that I attempt to play the guitar. On hearing this, the host responded in a rising, anticipatory tone that made one believe he was about to win a grand prize: "Did you say, 'play the guitar'?" On affirming that I attempt to play the guitar, he directed his assistant to play a song and asked that I demonstrate with a performance on the air guitar.

All of my surroundings blurred in this moment as Guns N' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" began. I assumed perfect classic guitar player form. Spreading and bending my legs, I began to strum heavily, and leapt with a face both focused and intent, a face so common to the classic guitar player fingering and strumming his way through a melodic rift. Attempting the form still further, I even began chewing on my pretend-guitar.

This finished, the host introduced the puzzle and asked each contestant for a letter. We were all given a chance to name letters and guess the puzzle, but it was not until the host was halfway through the five contestants a second time that one of the contestants correctly guessed "toga party." This was the end of this, my first experience auditioning for a game show. Each of us received a Wheel of Fortune hat, pin, and key chain, along with vouchers for lottery tickets.

For all the fun the audition itself proved to be, it was the fun of experiencing it with my brother and sister-in-law that made it the more memorable, and I do not think I will forget it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...