Skip to main content

Fun

I recently returned from two days in Los Angeles with family. My brother and sister-in-law auditioned for The Price is Right on Tuesday. This alone was worth the trip. After having our pictures taken and spending some time talking with others before the show, we were each interviewed by the show's co-producer. His intent was to assess whether we would be interesting contestants. I was convinced by the length of her interview that my sister-in-law would be chosen. It turned out that none of us were chosen, but it was well worth the experience.

The studio itself is smaller than one would think, as is the audience. A director tells the audience when to applaud, and Drew Carey talks to people during commercial breaks. He spoke with all three of us individually. When speaking with me, Drew asked my profession. When I told him that I was an English teacher, he asked if I heard Weird Al's "Word Crimes." Moments later, the D.J. played the song for the audience.

On Wednesday, we enjoyed Disneyland. This was especially important for me. I am not usually sentimental, but it had been about twenty-two years since I had been inside the park, so I was especially for this experience. We stayed nearly the entire time the park was open, and rode almost every ride we wanted (Peter Pan's Flight was the only exception). I was able to ride attractions that did not exist when I was last in the park, including the "Indiana Jones Adventure."

The next day, we ended the trip with breakfast at the Storyteller's Cafe. After a short errand, we left for home. All three of us were tired, but we all enjoyed the time together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Nice Guy Fallacy

I read part of a poem recently by one of my favorite poets. It reads: I envy not in any moods The captive void of noble rage The linnet born within the cage That never knew the summer woods. I envy not the beast that takes His license in the field of time Unfetter'd by the sense of crime To whom a conscience never wakes. Nor what may call itself as bles't The heart that never plighted troth But stagnates in the weeds of sloth Nor any want-begotten rest. I hold it true, whate'er befall I feel it, when I sorrow most 'Tis better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all. At base, Tennyson contrasted a life of risk, and consequent pain, with one of security. He sides conclusively with the life of risk, and says he fails to envy those who have faced no hardship. I agree with him; and, for good or ill, his words are just as relevant today as they were in the nineteenth century. Like then, there are those today who choose to live their lives with as little risk as...

Ghosts

Exercising at a gym seems to be pretty important in our culture, but it's kind of weird to see the social dynamics when you're there. Usually, if you're running an errand, you see others doing the same thing, going about their days and focusing on what's in front of them. The same thing happens at the gym, only everyone is relatively stationary. They don't really go anywhere, except from one machine or area to another. One might think this lends itself to lots of interaction between members, especially since they're all there for the same purpose, but it isn't true. Not only do people generally avoid talking to one another, but they also avoid even looking at one another. It is as though there is no one else there, even though there are dozens on any given day. Most people follow this unwritten rule, unless something in the environment-- say, two people wanting to use the same set of weights-- gives them common ground to interact, or unless they've alr...

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to ...