Skip to main content

What Didn't Happen

Although many things have happened over the past few weeks, this post will discuss those things that did not. It is in a spirit of gratitude, then (except for number seven below), that I relate those things that did not happen.

1. I did not lose a relative.
In short, I could have lost a relative, but I did not. Thankfully, this person is recovering quite well.

2. I did not grade essays.
I believe this is the first Christmas break that I have not graded essays.

3. My wallet was not stolen.
Perhaps men should not wear pajama pants outside of their homes. Perhaps jeans or clacks are more appropriate. Nonetheless, I did leave in my pajama pants to return a movie. The problem was that the pockets on these pajamas are shallow, so that any items in them are susceptible to fall out. This is exactly what happened. As I turned to get back to my car, my wallet fell out of my pocket just in front of the movie kiosk, a well lit area peopled at the time by two other individuals. I only realized that it was missing when I got out of my car back at home. Returning quickly, I received a phone call from a store employee saying that had I dropped my wallet and that the store was holding it for me. Before I dropped it, I had made eye contact with the person whom I believe picked it up. Happily, and I will say providentially, this person decided to turn it into the store rather than take it. All things inside the wallet were where I left them. The only paper representation of money inside was a check with my phone number on it, which is how the employee was able to call. In front of many customers, and still in my pajama pants, I shook hands gratefully with the employee who returned my wallet.

4. My friends did not disown me.
One of my best friends asked me to watch his boy while he took his wife to the hospital to give birth. I listened dutifully as they instructed me on how to care for him while they were away. Not only did I not harm him, but I even think he had fun! Besides not being disowned, I also did not adequately discover what it means to be a father.

5. I did not buy a Playstation 3.
I wanted to buy a Playstation 3. I did not buy a Playstation 3. In the end, I think I am glad.

6. I did not stay awake.
I have had trouble staying asleep of late. Having still woken in the wee hours, I have been able to return to sleep, even blissfully.

7. I have not won a game of chess.
I have returned to the game of chess recently, and have tried, but failed, to win a single game so far.

8. I have not died.
I have been purposely lazy over the past several days. To take just one example, I have nearly ignored a to-do list that I created for myself just over a week ago, the purpose of which was to challenge myself. Alas, I have accomplished only a few of the items on this list, and two of those were on accident. Admittedly, the items do say something about me, which leaves me open to judgment. That's okay. Here is the list.
*Hold up a sign in public.
*Ask a stranger a question about himself or herself.
*State your opinion clearly and boldly.
*Play basketball with good athletes.
*In public, wear one bright color for your shirt and pants; or wear something you do not normally wear.
*Watch a movie you would not normally watch, or read a book you would not normally read. Alternately, go to a movie in the theater alone.
*Act on something that you know is true, but refuse to admit.
*Buy something for yourself.
*Smile at a girl.

There is still time to accomplish the others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...