Skip to main content

Looking Up: Shame's End

We all have regrets. One of my greatest regrets took place in the summer of 2004. I had started a master's degree program at my university in the fall of 2003. I performed passably that semester, but by the end of it, having graduated the spring before, I was burned out. I decided to put the degree program on hold and begin my training to become a teacher. I did so in the spring of that year, but wanted to do something unrelated to school during the summer. As a result, just before applications were due, I applied and was accepted to be a camp counselor at a camp just two hours away from where I lived.

I arrived to meet the permanent staff and my fellow counselors and, not more than three or four days into the job--having worked on a drama, set up an archery target by standing on the shoulders of another guy, decided the name of my cabin group, and performing various other jobs--I told the activity coordinator that it wasn't for me. While this person had someone in mind in case something like this happened, I immediately felt a sense of disappointment, feeling like I had let her, my team, and myself down. She told me that I would be the one to tell my team the next day, and after responding to the head of the camp that there was no alternate position that would work better for me, I delivered the news.

I didn't anticipate how much such this decision would affect my team members. I could see the disappointment on at least some of their faces. Nonetheless, this had finalized my decision, and it wasn't much longer before I packed up and left. When I called my mom--who was expecting me to be away for the summer--she was upset. She had seen me at home far too much the previous fall while I rook an independent study course in history, along with another class that met only once per week, and felt I should be out of the house. Nonetheless, here I was coming home again.

If this were the end, it would be a pretty depressing story. Ironically, however, the event that I saw as my greatest disappointment would eventually become a source of great pride. Having no plan in mind for my summer, I decided reluctantly to return to my studies in the master's program. This was not what I had expected for myself. In fact, having unenthusiastically trudged through the fall semester, I had questioned whether I would continue the program at all. Yet, here I was, and instead of finding myself overwhelmed at the workload, I found the class manageable enough to motivate me to continue later. Indeed, after starting work as a teacher, I returned to the master's program and eventually graduated.

I highlight this story because it reminds me of my favorite scripture, Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." God's presence was clear throughout my schooling, from the darkest to the brightest moments, and I can see now that he took my shame and used it for my good. I am not alone in this. Paul, author of much of the New Testament, had once persecuted Christians, watching as like-minded people killed followers of the Way. Yet, God used this man's past as an example for the benefit of other believers, and of Paul himself. 1 Timothy 1:12-17 states,
"I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured on my abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
"Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen."
Of course, the greatest example of God using shame or evil for good came when he gave Jesus up as a sacrifice, turning a Roman execution by crucifixion--an execution so painful that it gave us the English word excruciating--into a source of life for everyone who would accept the Lord's message of grace.*

As Christians, we can be encouraged by the fact that God will use our shame, our sin, for our own growth and for the benefit of others.

*McKeen, Jeremy. "Overcoming Regrets." Goodnews. The Good News. 10 July 2014. Web. 28 July 2017.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroes

Although we have several examples of heroes in our day, one of the best known is of a woman named Agnes Gonxhe Bojaxhiu (“Gonja Bojaju”), who devoted her life to sustaining the “poor, sick, orphaned, and dying.” Her venue was Calcutta, India, where she served as a teacher until she began to take notice of the poverty there. Seeking to do something about it, she began an organization that consisted of just thirteen members at its inception. Called the “Missionaries of Charity,” the organization would eventually burgeon into well over 5,000 members worldwide, running approximately 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries; and caring for the orphaned, blind, aged, disabled, and poor. As her personal work expanded, she traveled to countries like Lebanon, where she rescued 37 children from a hospital by pressing for peace between Israel and Palestine; to Ethiopia, where she traveled to help the hungry; to Chernobyl, Russia, to assist victims of the nuclear meltdown there; and to

Comparative Medical Care

One thing I'd like to understand is why there is such a difference between medical costs here and those in Haiti. At the time the book Mountains Beyond Mountains was written, in 2003, it often cost $15,000 to $20,000 annually to treat a patient with tuberculosis, while it cost one one-hundredth of that-- $150 to $200-- to treat a patient for the disease in Haiti. Even if the figures aren't completely accurate, the sheer difference would still be there. Indeed, the United States pays more per capita for medical care than any other country on Earth. My first guess for why the disparity exists is that there is a market willing and able to pay more for medical treatment, so suppliers see the demand and respond with higher prices. According to at least one doctor (go to http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/2009/05/what_is_the_cause_of_excess_co.php), part of the reason is administrative prices here. People here have a higher standard of living, and so the cost of care is shifted to

Movie Night

We did it again. My leadership class and I put together another event. We invited the school to watch Dispicable Me . The movie was a hit, so much so that one little girl got up to dance with the main character at the end of the movie. It was a wholesome family night, and on a Monday no less! There were very few issues. It was just a relaxing evening. We're going to use the proceeds to pay for our leadership conference in late March and early April. It should make for a meanigful experience. Signing off...